Saturday, March 12, 2022

A Different Order Than Usual...

 A Different Order Than Usual...

When I usually produce short films, I often find myself moving through the process like this:

Researching.

Filming.

Editing.

SCRAMBLINGFORMUSICFORFIVEHOURS

Editing.

Exporting.

It's a fun process and all, but the whole "SCRAMBLINGFORMUSICFORFIVEHOURS" part just... isn't for me anymore. For my film this time, I'm going to take some inspiration from... *sigh.* Musicals.

With musical dramas (typical dramas also do this, but musicals are more likely to), there are usually songs in mind for certain scenes that the ENTIRE FILM IS BASED AROUND. Think about the film "Bohemian Rhapsody." They didn't just decide "hey Rami, can you sing Bohemian Rhapsody for us in front of this huge crowd? It took us a while to make this decision, but we really think that song will just hit for this part."

NO! They had this song in mind before production even started. It's literally the title.

So, to have a more fluid drama, I will try filming and editing around my music for a change. Here is a list of songs that I wish to use (some will have to be cut, obviously):


MUSIC LIST

1. LOVERS ROCK - TV GIRL: This song is exactly the mood that I wish to portray with my piece. It is mostly solemn, but has a blend of highs and lows. The tone is overall depressing, but has some oddly sweet sounding lines, such as "but if you're too drunk to drive, and the music is right, she might let you stay, but just for the night."












2. PIGEON - CAVETOWN: This song has a lot of high frequencies that can blend in with those of the first song, which can allow for song switches that aren't too drastic, but do change the tone. I view "Pigeon" as the main character's theme, with the main line being "Circling around the kitchen, why has nothing changed?" Overall, this tone is significantly sadder, and can be played in the background of intimate moments. I plan on finding an instrumental version of this song or creating my own with my piano this week that can play behind dialogue scenes.












(UPDATE: 3/15)

Today in class, we had group meetings, in which I was able to discuss some of my music choices with some other creators. They really liked the idea of having those higher-pitched "droning" sounds incorporated throughout the piece, and they offered some suggestions that I really like! Here are some of them:


3. SWEET DREAM - ALESSIA CARA: Recommended by Maria Peacock! This song is full of energy, heavily contrasting the sadder, slower tones of the other works within my film. It has that nice high-pitched noise I needed and many drums in the background, so I think this will work perfectly for the party scene! The lyrics also match PERFECTLY with some symbolism I'm incorporating in my film, but I'll make a separate post about that!



4. DARK RED - STEVE LACY: Recommended by Sophia Ferraro! This song is absolutely- pardon my French- SEXY. The voice has a mysterious tone to it, and the guitar part is high-pitched. This could also work great for a party scene.




Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BTemplates.com

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

I'll Miss You

"Under Construction" Components Video: Social Media: https://www.instagram.com/underconstructionfilm/ Postcard Front:  Postcard Back: