Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The Script (Gasp!)

 The Script

Hey everyone! I am pleased to say that I have completely finalized my script. Some very subtle changes might be made throughout the production process, but the idea is complete!




UNDER CONSTRUCTION

WRITTEN BY: SABRINA ARES




INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

MS. HAYES

The distance between us, is it okay?

LOLA nods.

MS. HAYES

Do you want me to move forward, back?

LOLA
No- no, you’re okay there.

MS. HAYES

Okay.

LOLA twiddles her thumbs, avoiding eye contact.

MS. HAYES sets her notepad aside, placing her blue pen down softly. 

MS. HAYES

Lola is a beautiful name.

LOLA (forcing a smile)

Thank you.

MS. HAYES leans forward, attempting to establish a connection. Her arms rest on her legs, her palms facing outward.

MS. HAYES

Do you have any nicknames?

LOLA

Umm..

EXT. OUTSIDE OF HOUSE - SUNSET

Lola is walking outside, making her way to her bicycle. She is talking on the phone.

LOLA

Yeah, I’ll meet you at the park soon.

She laughs.

LOLA

Quit being so impatient.

I’ll be there soon.

ELIJAH (waving)

Hey, Sunshine! How are you?

Lola waves back, smiling.


INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

MS. HAYES

Sunshine? That really suits you.

LOLA

I get that a lot.

MS. HAYES

I’m sure you do.

So tell me, Sunshine, where do we start?


EXT. PARK - NIGHT

There are closeups of the bicycle Sunshine was riding. Very quick snippets of her getting to the park that abruptly cuts to:

LOLA sits on the ground of the empty park. She clings to her knees. There are flashes between her clothed and covered in caution tape. 

Police sirens can be heard in the distance, and red/blue flashes of light begin to reflect from her skin.


MATCH CUT TO:

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - NIGHT

A flash takes a photo of Lola. Her face is bruised and there is some leftover mascara underneath her eyes.

This photo is then pulled down to reveal Lola sitting in a conference room. 

OFFICER (off screen)

Did you recognize the person that did this to you?


Lola does not respond. She licks her lips, as if to prevent dryness.

OFFICER

Lola, we need you to answer our questions.

CLOSEUP of Lola’s face. She appears very uncomfortable, slouched in her seat.


CUT TO FLASHBACKS:

There is a backlit figure that represents REDACTED. His face is not shown.

Closeups of different parts of his figure are shown, such as legs, shoulders, shoes.

(AUDIO ENTERS FROM FOLLOWING SCENE)

OFFICER

She is not being compliant.

I don’t know what to do, she isn’t answering.


CLOSEUP of Lola shows her breathing heavily.


INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

Their clothing has changed. Time has passed since the last session.

MS. HAYES

There is only so much I can do, Sunshine.

I need you to talk to the police. It’s been a month now.

LOLA

I don’t know who he is.

MS. HAYES

That is not what you told me last week.

LOLA

…I don’t want to tell them.

MS. HAYES sighs, nodding. She picks up her notepad. There are some more notes on it now.

MS. HAYES

Are you still drinking?


INT. PARTY - NIGHT

Music blasts from the speakers. Disco lights flash against red solo cups.

SUNSHINE walks into the kitchen, looking over at a red solo cup on the counter. She hesitantly inches toward it, picking it up.


INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

LOLA

No, I quit a while ago.

MS. HAYES

That’s good.

You see, when someone goes through trauma, they may use
alcohol to self-medicate, which damages…


MS. HAYES’ voice drains out as the party scene returns.


INT. PARTY - NIGHT

SUNSHINE sits on the couch, sipping from the cup.

KJ falls back next to her, a cigarette in hand.

KJ

Hey, Sunshine.

What do you have in there?

SUNSHINE (chuckling)

Fireball, I think.

KJ

You know whiskey is for shots, right?


SUNSHINE’S eyes widen.

KJ

Solo cups are for beer.

SUNSHINE

Oh, yeah. I know.

She looks down at her cup.

SUNSHINE

I’m just trying to black out tonight.

KJ laughs.

KJ

YOU. Are crazy.

SUNSHINE

I know.


There is a short pause. Sunshine takes a sip.

KJ

So what’s going on with that like,

You know, the case.


Sunshine takes another sip.

KJ
Did the cops ever figure him out?

SUNSHINE

No, they haven’t yet.

KJ.

Damn.

I’d beat his ass if I could.


Sunshine nods exaggeratedly. 

SUNSHINE

Thanks.

KJ

All of this is just so crazy.

You know, I…


KJ’s voice drains out.


INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

Their clothing has changed. Time has passed since the last session.

MS. HAYES

I don’t normally suggest medication, but I think you should see a psychiatrist.


LOLA slouches into her seat.

MS. HAYES

There is only so much I can do if your biology is not in control.


LOLA

I don’t-

I don’t need medication.

MS. HAYES

There is nothing shameful about medicine.

It can really help you with your depression.



LOLA

Ms. Hayes, I-


INT. BATHROOM - NIGHT


PIGEON - CAVETOWN PLAYS


Lola stares intensely at herself in the mirror. Tears run down her cheeks.

Her hands shake against the counter.


The following scene flashes (match-cuts) between the park, the party, and the bathroom. They are in slow-motion.

The park snippets display Lola on the ground covered in tape. Close-ups show the caution tape as “alive,” writhing around her body like snakes.

The party scenes show her tumbling around the house party and taking sips from the solo cup. Another shot shows her emptily staring at the camera as she sits on the couch, slouched.

When it cuts back to the bathroom, her mascara is fully running down her face.

LOLA (mouthing)

Oh my god.

She begins to cry more intensely, sliding down the wall and hugging her knees once more.


The music fades out.

INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

MS. HAYES

Do you really think that you’re okay, Lola?


Lola’s face falls.

After a pause, she shakes her head no. Her lip quivers.


MS. HAYES

I know some very good psychiatrists.

Do you want me to write down their contacts for you?


Lola nods.


MS. HAYES

Okay.


INT. KITCHEN - DAY

Lola looks over at her medication. This shot mimics the one with the red solo cup.

She walks over, picking up the bottle.

She takes her medication.


INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

Their clothing has changed. Time has passed since the last session.

LOLA

I’m doing a lot better.

MS. HAYES

Oh, that’s so great to hear.

LOLA (nodding)

Yeah.

MS. HAYES

So tell me, what have you been up to?


EXT. STREET - DAY

LOVERS ROCK - TV GIRL plays


Sunshine can be heard laughing.

A skateboard appears on screen that she is riding on.

A montage plays of her and Elijah riding their skateboards, hanging out, laughing. They change outfits between some of these to show time passing.

ELIJAH

You’re a lot of fun.

LOLA (giggling)

Yeah?

Elijah has a cigarette in hand.

ELIJAH

Yeah, I like you sober.

Lola looks over at him, tilting her head.


ELIJAH

Yeah, I’m a big hypocrite. I know.

LOLA

We can stay sober together, you know.

ELIJAH

I think I’d like that.

Lola smiles.


INT. THERAPIST’S OFFICE - DAY

MS. HAYES

This Elijah sounds nice.

LOLA

Yeah, he really is.

MS. HAYES

I’m really proud of you, Lola.

LOLA

Yeah?

MS. HAYES

Yes, of course.

It’s so wonderful to see you building trust again.

Your improvement has been… astronomical.


Closeup of Lola’s expression. She nods.

LOLA

Thank you.


EXT. SIDE OF THE ROAD - SUNSET

A two shot displays Elijah and Lola sitting side by side, with distance between them.

ELIJAH

Hey, Lola?

LOLA

Mmm?

ELIJAH

That guy, you know, Redacted?

Lola looks at him.

ELIJAH

Who was it?

Lola freezes.

There is a pause.

ELIJAH

I’m sorry, I-

I thought you were ready.


Elijah reaches for her hand to comfort her, but she pulls away.

He looks awkwardly at the ground.

ELIJAH

Sorry. I’ll just-

I’ll wait in the car for you.


Elijah stands up and walks off, leaving Lola on her own.

LOLA (VO)

The truth is, I really don’t know how to recover.

I’m not sure if I’ve even improved at all.


A montage plays over her VO, displaying her crying in the bathroom, taking her medication, and laying down in the park.

LOLA (VO)

I feel like I’m always so close, but I just fall right back down. 

How do I admire the colors in the sky when I can see the sun falling beneath the horizon?


Lola sits on the ground in the park. Mascara runs down her face.

LOLA (VO)

How do I fix this now?

Closeup of her blinking.

LOLA (VO)

I think it’s about time I do it.


Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BTemplates.com

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

I'll Miss You

"Under Construction" Components Video: Social Media: https://www.instagram.com/underconstructionfilm/ Postcard Front:  Postcard Back: